Friday, November 21, 2008

12-0 The perfect season

Utah vs BYU Rival Game
November 21st, 2008 4:00 PM
So this was my first Rival Game at Rice-Eccles Stadium and I was really looking forward to it. Since I had seen the movie Twilight again early that day, we were running really close to missing kick off. It seems like every time I go to the football games we miss kick off. When we arrived and realized that kick off still had not happened we quickly hurried to our seats. As we were climbing the stairs to our seats, Stu pointed out the 4 jets flying overhead (which was really awesome) and it made me really excited to be at the game.

The game got underway, and I know that almost everyone reading this watched the game so I will not bore you with the details. But it was close- at one point BYU and Utah were tied, but Utah pulled way and won 48-24. Of course the stadium exploded. Good thing it was not close or else I might have peed my pants for sure. I can now say that I have experienced a rival game and I do not need to go again. I have heard that those brave souls (BYU fans) that come the the Utes house are paying for some ridicule. Okay that's fine it comes with rival games I guess, but when it gets down right rude, that is uncalled for. We had 2 BYU fans sitting a few seats in front of us and some Utah fans (drunk fans) sitting behind us were throwing stuff and saying some really terrible things to these fans. Stu stepped up and turned around telling the Ute fans that was not cool. Then they turned on Stu calling him a disloyal fan. Then when I glared at them I was called a 'Beach' (insert the correct swear word here). OH..I was so embarrassed to be a Ute fan with fans like that, treating others so callously. The girl next to Stu and I left to get some food (we thought) but she went to get security to calm down those guys and it did help. But those BYU fans still left at half time. I was ashamed to be a Ute fan I must say. So...1st and last rival game for me.

The final score

Ashley and Sarah at the game

The fans rushing the field when Utah won

3 comments:

Sonia said...

I know what you mean...I have more than once had to set people straight at sporting events. Shawn was targeted in Denver when the Dolphins won and he was wearing a jersey. It's just lame. People can like who they want...a certain amount of ribbing and trash-talking is acceptable, but within respectable boundaries.

That being said...WOO-HOO! I love our team. Also, I think on the last picture you meant to say "fans rushing the field BEFORE the Utes won the game". That was both really funny and really tacky of all those people - I mean come on the game wasn't officially over yet!

Mike said...

Don't let a couple of drunk punks ruin your future aspirations as a loyal Ute fan, because you and Stu are the type of fans that need to stay strong. And as a BYU loyalist, congratulations to your team.

Page said...

That's too bad that it just takes a few bad apples to ruin your fun. It really takes character though to say something when people are acting inappropriate, sorry they turned on you. Of course I am sad you won but it is even more sad you couldn't enjoy your victory. Maybe you'll be happy again watching them kick butt in a BCS bowl game. Jason said we have to cheer for them in the bowl game because it will be really good for the Mountain West Conference. We're just hoping BYU comes to the Las Vegas Bowl so we can see the game.