What a nice thought- collapsing and dying.

October 3rd the day before the marathon
Liz Royall and I went to pick up our marathon packets. We had traveled down to St. George the day before so that Friday we could just relax and not do anything but veg. We were excited to pick up our packets. We discovered what number we were, got our St. George Marathon memorabilia shirts and gazed at all the excited runners that would be joining us the next day. Later that night after Stu arrived we went to the Pizza Factory so Liz and I could start the carb loading process. I would like to note the weather. Nice blue skies, temp at about 75-80 degrees.

Sarah picking up her marathon packet
4:30 AM October 4th-Marathon Day!
Liz and I got up at 3:45 AM to get ready for the big day and to traveled to the bus pick up station. The weather was set for rain much like the whole state of Utah. We checked the weather conditions the night before and the higher % of rain was set for the afternoon. Liz and I felt confident that we would get rain but it would be later in the race when you want it to help you cool down. The start of the race was met with rain. Down pour really. Liz and I were dressed warmly because the start of the race is always cold, but we did not bring an umbrella. :) The rain was coming off and on. Hard then soft. Luckily for us, they were passing out garbage bags that you can rip a hole in the bottom and pull it over your head to help protect your body from the cold rain. Bon fires were raging but we decided to find a car we could sit by to help protect us from the rain. We both said to each other "We did not sign up for rain"
6:45 AM October 4th-Start of the Marathon
Liz and I decided to wait till the last minute to go stand in line for the bathrooms. After sitting for an hour huddled next to the car and bundled in our garbage bags for warmth we decided to hit the bathrooms. The gun sounded for the wheelchair race and then a few moment later the gun sounded for the start of the marathon. Since each runner has a timing chip on their shoes once they hit the mat and active their chip that is when your marathon starts. It took about 10 min for the group Liz and I were in to hit the mat and off we went. I would like to note that..it is still raining.. hard. Liz and I both still have our garbage bags on over our clothes.
7:00 AM- 12:15 PM October 4th-During & End of the Marathon
The rain never let up the whole race. The end was never in sight. I would like to say that Liz and I laughed about the down pour, but in all honesty- I just cried. I did not want to subject myself to this. The weather was terrible, the rain was pelting at our face with about 15 mile hour head winds that just beat the body down. At about mile 8 I broke down and cried. I just wanted to end the torture and get warm. My feet were soaked, my garbage bag didn't do anything to keep the rain out, but I strangely found it comforting to have it with me-like a long lost friend.
Once we got half way (13.1 miles), we realized we were about 40 min off our time and knew that we would not make our goal of 4 hours 30 min. I wanted to cry again, instead I tried to find a phone to call Stu so our support group didn't come stand in the rain for an hour when we knew we would not be there for awhile. Once the call was made I felt better knowing our group would be warm a little while longer. We were already wet, we didn't want them to be miserable too.
The rest of the race was a blur. I just tried to get to each mile marker. Just one more mile I would tell myself.
Once mile 22 hit the rain let up and I was finally able to say good bye to my garbage bag. Really I wanted to keep it and frame it, but decided I carried it around long enough and it was time to part.
26 mile marker. Stu and my brother Cannon greeted us. What a relief it was to see them. I knew were were almost done. Just few more blocks. Liz saw her mom and I looked for my grandparents as we ran down the chute to the end of the race.
Liz and Sarah as they turned the corner to head home26.2 miles 5 hours 13 min and 05 seconds later-October 4th
Liz and I finished at the exact same time. The lady that put the finisher ribbon around my neck gave me a HUGE hug and said "You did it, you finished". I just about lost it in this lady's arms, but luckily I held it together.
I would like to say that I don't ever want to do this again, but now that I didn't make my time it makes me want to do it again. I had a goal, this goal was stomped by mother nature and now I want to go out and say "I can do this, I can make it this time". I guess time will only tell.
Thank you to Stu, Cannon, my Grandparents, Mom Royall and Jen for coming to support us. And thank you Liz for saying "We can do this, we can finish" when I thought all hope was lost.
Stu and Sarah at the finish line
Liz and Sarah with their Finisher metals

Sarah's support group: Stu, Cannon, Sarah, Grandma & Grandpa
*This race was the 32nd Annual Marathon in St. George
*This race was only the 2nd time it has ever rained. The 1st time was 25 years ago
*The youngest runner was 10. The oldest runner was 84
*The day after the marathon we had blue skies and perfect 65 degree weather

10 comments:
I'm so sorry to hear that you didn't make your goal. But YOU DID IT!! And in the rain. You are a trooper. Congrats on finishing. Now you can say you ran in the race the second time it rained!! Love you.
I am so amazingly proud of you! What a huge accomplishment! Way to go!! Love ya.
Congratulations on your race! You're amazing and you ROCK!!
You look entirely too fresh and pretty for having just run a marathon! SO not fair to the rest of the world. You're HOT!
I'm so sorry! That sounds like it was so miserable. But you did it! Despite what mother nature threw at you, you finished - and did I mention you look fabulous? I'm so proud of you! Let's run a marathon together one day.
congrats on the finish! It was miserable wasn't it...
J
Good job! Seriously, the time doesn't matter...just finishing 26.2 miles is amazing!
Sarah, I am so proud of you! You are a trooper for doing it in such horrible weather conditions! Wow, 26.2 miles!! That would have taken me at least a couple of days to WALK! You're awesome!
I've never had the urge to run a marathon, until now!! You've totally inspired me! Maybe next time, you can whip my behind into shape and I can run along with you...
We missed you on Saturday!!
Love ya!
Brat! Next time you go to St. George call us. It's only an hour and a half away plus my sister lives there and we visit often! PS congratulations on the finish, I wouldn't make it past mile 1!
Post a Comment