Saturday, April 20, 2013

Salt Lake Marathon-Volunteer



So my running buddy Liz and I decided to volunteer for the Salt Lake Marathon and to get a look from the 'other side'.  I have always wanted to, and this just seemed like the right time to do so.

The forecast called for rain!  I have run a marathon in the rain..and it SUCKED.  I was not looking forward to standing in the rain, but then I realized that someone needs to be out there to help this runners and I did make a commitment  so Liz and left early and arrived at our aid station.  We choose ahead of time mile marker 11 (half) marker 24 (full).  I had friend running the 1/2 and friends running the full so I wanted a station where I could see them all.  We arrived at the station and realized that we were set up under the overpass!!  WHOOO HOOO.  I was so pumped that we were not going to be in the rain!!  It was cold and as we watched the runners coming in I could see the look on their faces that I had when I ran my race in the cold.  You are just miserable. 

The first wave was mostly the 1/2 marathoners.  I didn't seen any of my friends during the half and was sad I couldn't give them hugs to warm them up.  So I focused on the full marathon runners and looked for my friends.  First one I saw was my old co-worker.  It was his 1st marathon and I could see the pain on his face, I ran up to him, hugged him and told him he was amazing and that in 15 min it would be over.  His family was at the end and it would all be over.  I was trying to hard not to cry because I KNEW the torment he was going through.  I sent him off and saw him running, which made me happy because he was walking when I met up with him.  A few minutes later I saw my other friend. I opened my arms and she ran right into them.  She told me how miserable she was and how hard this was.  I kissed his forehead and told her "I know, but keep going, you are almost done".  I told her I loved her and  I sent her on her way and tears started to streamed down my face.  

I was so proud of EVERYONE that ran the race.  It was just a few days after the attacks at the Boston Marathon so I was so happy to be part of helping to make these runners have a better race.  It was fun to see the 1st runners down to the last runners.  All shapes and sizes, they were out there running a race..in the rain!


No comments: