Thursday, April 25, 2013

Always have a spare key

We recently bought an iPad mini.  Mostly for me, but also for Hannah to use-games and movies.  I think I have created a monster with this iPad.  I put Mary Poppins on the iPad and one day I put Hannah on my bed, and nestled her into the pillows and let her watch Mary Poppins so I could get in the shower.  She now thinks that EVERYDAY she gets to sit on my bed and watch "paappns" and will get on my bed and nestle into my pillows.  Its cute but I question if I have created a bad habit.

IMG_1642
Hannah watching Mary Poppins.  She looks pretty comfortable!

With the house on the market I took advantage of her watching Mary Poppins and started to clean up the house (since we had a showing later that day).  I ran downstairs and went outside to pick up dog poo.  I remember opening the door and turning the lock (I have to lock the doors because Hannah knows how to open them and go outside).  So as I picking up poo, the door was not shut all the way and the wind opened up the door and the dog got out.  I was mad he was in my way and put him back in the house and made sure the door was locked.  I quickly picked up his poo and ran it to the dumpster and went to go in the house...it was locked.  My heart sunk!  I ran to the front door and it was locked.  I checked the car door (we have a garage opener inside the car) and it was locked.  I realized immediately that I locked the door without realizing it.  I went into PANIC mode .I just happened to have my phone in my pocket (thank the stars above).  I called my mom since she had a spare key.  She didn't answer.  I called my dad who said my mom was at the gym and she had the key and he had no car.  I called my Realtor since the lock box was right there with my spare.  We have him our only spare!!  Why didn't I get another spare to hide outside???  I opened the windows to my room before I went outside and I can hear Mary Poppins playing so I know Hannah is still safe.  I call Stu.  He is in Vegas and can't do anything, but I had to call him. I decided  that even if my mom called me back and left to bring me a key she was still 20 min away.  So..I called a lock smith.  It was $85 to get them to come out, but it was worth it.  They arrived 7 min later and he got my door opened, I ran upstairs to check on Hannah.  She was in the same spot I left her 15 min before.  I asked her if she was watching Mary Poppins she looked up barely and said 'yeah'.  Guess she wasn't phased at all.  
We made 2 spares that day and hide them where only we can get to them...just in case this happens every again!


The bill for getting into my house


1 comment:

Alison Hixson said...

Oh that sucks! Glad that Hannah was ok and didn't realize you were even gone!