Saturday, April 27, 2013

30K = 18.6 miles

So I am set to run the Ogden Marathon in May.  I have never trained for a marathon outside of St. George, and that race is in the fall.  Needless to say I have not been good at running this winter.  I am my own worse motivator when I have to go out and run by myself.  I am running the marathon with my brother Coleman and we have done a few 10 miles, but I am no where ready for the Ogden marathon.

I wanted to do a 1/2 marathon before the race but couldn't commit to one.  I found a 30K up in Eden Utah which is above Ogden and some of the course runs the marathon course.  I figured 18+ miles was better than a 13.1 1/2 marathon so we signed up.  

It was a pretty day--cool but nice.  Cole and I picked up his friend Tiffany who was training for a 50 miler (seriously..who wants to run 50 miles??)  The course was and out and back (BOO) but you didn't run the same road back so it wasn't bad.  I felt good running, I ran the first 6 miles in 58 mins, but after that..it went down hill.  If you left doubt in your head, it will destroy your running.  I just couldn't get out of my head and really struggled.  I was hoping to come in around 3:15 and I did-- But it was hard.  I kept having a hard time taking a deep breath and I realized later it was because of the altitude.  I have never run higher than SLC before.  I did something I have NEVER done before.  As I was approaching the end of the race (we finished the same place we started) I turned on the road we started and saw the finish line just head.  It was when I got to the end of the road that I realized the girl that was in front of me was now behind me..I never passed her.  I actually was suppose to keep running down the road and turn down the NEXT road and run around a bend and then the finish line should be right in front of me.  I took a short cut!!  So I did the right thing, I ran up the road everyone was coming down and when I got to the end, I turned around and THEN ran down the road to end.  I think I skipped out on a few steps of the race,  I was sooo embarrassed for missing the sign that showed you that you should go straight.  Oh well... I finished. 

It was hard, but I am glad I did run this race.  We got some nice stuff from this race.  A medal, shirt and a nice water bottle.  All for the entry fee of $30!!  Plus we ran some of the Ogden course.  Priceless


Me, Cole and Tiffany at the starting line

No comments: