Monday, October 19, 2009

I am a WINNER

How many contests have you entered with the hope that you might win something? I...like you...do the same thing. I enter contests, I never win. Until Saturday night, I became a winner! I would like to say I won a Million Dollars or even $500, but I did win a prize valued around $250-$300.
Saturday night the Reeder clan got together to attend the annual Warren Miller movie at Abravenel Hall. This was the first year we hit up the 9PM movie instead of the 6PM (maybe that is why I won). The cool thing about attend this movie is that for $18 (the price of the ticket) you can register for a free pass to The Canyons ski resort a value of around $50-$65. So it is totally worth it. You also enter into a drawing for a GRAND prize (trip to Chili this year) but this GRAND prize winner must be drawn from each Warren Miller location (about 20) and then one will be drawn from that 20. The odds are totally stacked against you. But enough about that (I didn't win that prize I won something else).
Let me set the mood. The 1st half of the movie just ended and I decided to hit up the ladies room and to grab a drink at the drinking fountain before heading back in for round 2. While I was at the drinking fountain the kid in front of me kept getting squirted by the fountain. The water pressure was off so it would go low and then really high. Since I was right after him (and I watched him wipe his face off with his sleeve) I thought "I will be careful". I came away clean and walked with Stu into the auditorium for Act 2. Before the movie starts the host tells everyone they have a few more minutes to get their ballots in for some prizes he is giving away. Most people filled out their ballots before the movie started and put them in boxes outside, but there a few stragglers. You have to imagine that there are probably close to 700+ ballots in this large container that some kids will be pulling names out of. As is turns out that one of the "kids" that are pulling out the names is the same one that was in front of me at the drinking fountain (fate?? I think so). The first 2 prizes were for clothes and then the prize of a 2 free passes to The Canyons resort and a lunch for 2 was up. The kid grabs a name...gives it to the host and he says "this person is from West Valley" and my heart stopped and then he said "Sarah Reeder". Seriously??? I just won something?? We were with a group of 10 and they all cheered with me..LOUDLY.
So after the movie I went to get my free ski passes. This was the best gift EVER. Stu and I could not afford to buy passes this year from any place because we are working on getting out of debt, so I guess paying tithing works and we got these free passes. ROCK ON!
Needless to say, the next time I win something will be in about 50 years, but don't give up filling out those contest entries. You never know-You might win!

3 comments:

Brit said...

I'm so jealous!! Mike and I were at the early show... and as usual, neither of us won anything (honestly, we were just happy to get the free lift tickets). CONGRATULATIONS on your big win... that IS a great prize. We should all use our lift tickets together one day this year!! Love you!

Sonia said...

WOOOOO-HOOOO! I never discounted you or put you in the loser pile despite your previous tendency to not have your name drawn. Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner!

Kim and Company said...

That's awesome!!! I once won $100 from a Capt'n Crunch cereal box game. It's awesome to win. ;-)