
3 crazies= Stu, Liz and Sarah
1/2 marathon= Hobblecreek 1/2 marathon in Springville Utah-13.1 miles
4 AM= time to wake up, travel 1 hour, pick up packet and ride the bus to the start
PR=Personal Record
St. George Marathon count down= 1 month 1 week and 2 days
Lets go through Saturday. Liz slept over at our house so she didn't have to wake any early than 4 AM. She didn't really sleep, Stu didn't really sleep and I kinda slept. Alas 4 AM we awoke, got dressed and were on the road by 4:30 AM with breakfast of bagels, banana's and water in hand. You might be asking yourself why we work up so early when the race didn't even start till 7:30 AM. The race was about an hour travel away and we still needed to pick up our race packets and get on the bus that would take us to the starting line by 6 AM. Hence...4 AM wake up time.
We were lucky to find a parking spot as close to the start of the race as we could (mind you it is dark outside and a rooster is crowing in the background). We got our packets by the light of a cell phone since we didn't know our bib number and the lights at the park were not on yet. We got on a bus and took off to the start.
We got the starting line with a sea of people waiting towards to the front for the race to begin. I immediately found the bathrooms and went to stand in line for them. Liz joined me and we waited for the bathroom for about 30 min. Yes I said 30 min. We had 2 min to spare before the race started after the bathroom break.
My cute husband who is a much faster runner than Liz and I said he would run about 1/2 mile with me before he wanted to take off. He ran 10 steps before I heard "Can I go now". He took off and left Liz and I to fend for ourselves for the next 13.1 miles
I was feeling pretty good so I took off about mile 6 and kept a good pace till close to the end. I had 1 mile to go and I just didn't have anything left in me. I kept stopping to walk, with the knowledge that the end was so close- only about 5 min away. I mustered up the strength and started to run telling myself the end is close you can do it. As I drew close to the end I could see the spectators cheering on the runners and immediately I looked for Stu. I could not find him. I felt a rush of emotion overcome me and the threat of tears were on the brink of spilling over..all because I could not see my husband. As it turns out he was waiting for me at the end and once I saw him my tears were subsided. Thank goodness :)
All us crazies got a PR that day. Stu would have come in sooner than his actual time IF his "stupid calf" didn't cramp up. Stu came in at 1 hour 58 min. Sarah came in at 2 hour 4 min and Liz came in at 2 hour 9 min.
We didn't stick around long-- long enough to get a flower (for the ladies), our FINISHER shirts, some cookies and some Diet Pepsi before we headed on home.
We were all so sore because of how much we pushed our bodies this day.
Liz and I both thought...how the heck are we going to run 26.2 when 13.1 hurt so bad? I guess we will find out in a month.

6 comments:
You guys totally rock!!! I am very impressed as I am pretty sure I could not do it if my life depended on it!
Congrats and Kudos to you guys!!!
Way to go. That's a great time too. You'll do awesome in the marathon. Wish I could be there.
I am so proud of you and Stu! That is great! Good luck with your marathon in a month! (you guys do know you are crazy, right?!)
Holy Crap! I still hurt today! What is that all about!! The marathon will be great! Only 6 weeks to go!
...and I am hesitant about a 5k. Ok not so much anymore after your info, (p.s. thanks) and my-not so very frequent-outings around the neighborhood (I changed my run/walk path so it would be 3 miles). Great Job!
Change of subject-go to scrapblog.com, my friend directed me there. They have cute pre-made pages you can use or you can create your own and stick 'em on your blog. Call me if you go in and we'll chat about it! I still feel out of it when it comes to all the fancy blog stuff-I just steal-er borrow from others.
Change of subject-only 8 months till WICKED! woohoo!
I am so proud!! Especially, after discovering that you don't love to run!! We need to hang out a lot more, so your motivation will rub off on me!! :)
Post a Comment